Friday, December 11, 2015

Holy Spirit--Experiential

I’ve written much about the practical side of walking in the Spirit and therein being continuously directed. The aspect of experiencing the Holy Spirit that I have covered might seem mundane; it might be overlooked; it might be taken for granted. There’s another aspect of the Holy Spirit that is much more intoxicating.

What I allude to appears in 1 Peter:

As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. (1 Peter 4:10-11)

The Apostle Paul referred “manifestations” of the Spirit. (1 Corinthians 12:7)

Spiritual gifts are given to individuals (i.e., every believer) for the good of the whole rather than for the good of the individual. For instance, if one is gifted to teach, it’s not to benefit the teacher, but, rather, the students. We are therefore directed to serve as good stewards of that gift, implementing it for the sake of others.

There is nonetheless something amazing in it for the gifted. The gifted operates in the strength that God supplies to do something beyond self and beyond self’s ability.

I do not experience this strength when I serve in forced ways. I, personally, experience this when preaching or teaching the Gospel. There is nothing mundane, to be taken for granted, or overlooked in the experience. It is, as it were, the power of the Living God himself welling up within me and sweeping me along. The experience makes it impossible to dwell in unbelief.

Lord God, give me opportunity to serve as a good steward of the gift that you have given. Be glorified in its outcome. Thank you for the strength that wells up in me in the midst of my weakness.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a necessary and elementary concept. It is a lesson I am just now seeing after all the years (78). "It's not about me." John the Baptist put it this way, "I must decrease so that He (Jesus) may increase." (John 3:30)

    ReplyDelete