Thursday, December 16, 2010

Relating to the Triune God

I was meditating on how to relate to the Triune God today and thought I would share my thoughts. When I think of God, who He is, what He does, what He loves, what He hates, how He relates, I'm thankful for all that was revealed through the Law and Prophets, but can do no better than to focus on Jesus Christ. Wonder what God is like? Jesus Christ is the fullest revelation we have.


"Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature . . . "(Hebrews 1:1-3a).

When I speak to God, I speak to God the Father in the name of Jesus Christ. This seems the clearest instruction from Jesus himself. 

"Pray then like this:
“Our Father in heaven . . ." (Matthew 6:9a).

                         &

          "Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son " (John 14:13).

I'm most comfortable with this over other addresses not clearly given in Scripture. For example, I'm uncomfortable addressing Him as Holy Spirit, though He is.

When I hear from Him, I expect attention to be drawn to Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the language in which He finally spoke to us (Hebrews 1:2), it's the language we comprehend. We interact via the Holy Spirit, but He brings to our remembrance the life and ministry of Jesus Christ.

". . . he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you" (John 14:26b).

The Holy Spirit does not bear witness about himself, but rather, to Jesus Christ, because the most we can know about God was spoken to us in this language: SON.

“But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me" (John 15:26).

2 comments:

  1. Hey Stacy, my name is Sandra. I read several blogs on religion and prayer and I've i feel like I've ended up here once before. I ran across this prayer exchange website and I haven't had the chance to ask my Church what their stance is on it.

    I'm a bit confused, I think that there are some benefits to a site like this but some Christians might find it questionable.

    The website is http://www.prayermarket.com/.

    If you're looking for a topic to blog about, I would be curious to hear your thoughts and know what your stance is on this type of prayer service.

    I have your blog in my feed reader so i'll check back, God bless
    Sandra J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra, I apologize for the late response. For some reason your comment was sent to the spam and I just noticed. I appreciate your comments.

    I've made an account and have perused "prayermarket." It's intriguing, but the whole money thing messes with me. Some people have strong prayer ministries and this could be a great way to minister far and wide. However, I think the money element, which I don't fully understand, will likely introduce wrong motives.

    I have a good friend who is developing a similar site apart from the money element. I look forward to watching it's development at http://prayaroundtheworld.com/

    grace and peace to you Sandra

    ReplyDelete